- Vocabulary development-focusing on which words to use for intial instruction. All words are "good" but your time is extremely limited! The initial word list presents meaningful words that are easily visualized, and personally relevant to beginning students.
- Teaching students how to read for meaning from the start- detailing a Daily Reading Comprehension Activity that integrates meaning between surface level (seeing the words, punctuation, etc.) and deep structure (where words are understood in relation to that specific sentence) levels.
- Teaching students to independently write from the start using a visually based approach to connect thought to print (i.e. Handshape Holder Intervention tool). The Daily Quick Writes activity is explained which outlines a daily 10-15 minute Independent writing activity.
- Spelling sequence techniques that improve Long Term Memory storage that are based on "chunked" movements of the hand while fingerspelling rather than sound-based syllables.
- 10 units of foundational level English grammar skills ( e.g. Sentence Structure-Subjects/Predicates, Pronouns, Tense, Beginning Morphology (adding 's, +ed, etc.), Beginning Prepositions, etc.)
- Curriculum objectives are written in performance-based terms so teachers can use them in the IEP's, goal writing, etc.
- Progress monitoring-Objectives are measurable- provides a way for teachers to fairly assess students improvement and set realistic/attainable learning goals
- Objectives are ordered using a hierarchy that builds the student's knowledge incrementally -reducing gaps and strengthening development
- Detailed lesson plans for many objectives
- Visual Mnemonic devices for some grammar rules to aid internalization of rules
This curriculum is written with the teacher in mind-- to provide additional information to help explain why English instruction can be so very confusing and how to make instruction clearer.
A 'Red Flag' is provided to alert the teacher to specific areas where DHH students often become confused. The red flag symbol is added to help teachers understand the potential problem and highlight those areas that obscure or complicate the process for DHH students.